Chryssi Island and the World of Littoral Archaeology: Contextualizing Island Research around Crete.
Ελλάδα, Παχειά Άμμος, 9-11 Ιουνίου 2023
15 December 2022
Over the past 15 years, Chryssi Island has become the focus of archaeological fieldwork, fueling our knowledge on topics such as the colonization and exploitation of insular habitats, the foundation and development of settlement on the island, and the implementation of land and water use strategies throughout the centuries. The aim of this conference is to present new archaeological research conducted on Chryssi, to explore its diachronic relationship to the settlements of the opposite coast, and to place the island within a wider geographical framework of coastal regions and offshore islands around Crete.
We invite papers focused on the following aspects of archaeological, ethnographic, and historical interest:
– archaeological research on Chryssi Island
– local narratives and traditions regarding Chryssi Island
– colonization and exploitation of island ecosystems around Crete
– settlement patterns on offshore islands
– subsistence strategies on island environments around Crete
– offshore islands as “marginal” living spaces
– transportation, trade, and exchange networks on offshore islands
– means of transportation and island connectivity
The conference will take place at the Old Customs House in Pacheia Ammos, Crete, from June 9th – 11th 2023. Abstracts (in English) should not exceed the 150 words limit and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> no later than December 15th, 2022.
The Organizing Committee,