Αδιαμφισβήτητα, η περιφέρεια του ΝΑ Αιγαίου είχε τον δικό της ξεχωριστό ρόλο στη μυκηναϊκή επέκταση προς τούς εμπορικούς σταθμούς της ΝΑ Μεσογείου. Οι Μυκηναΐοι χρησιμοποίησαν την περιοχή αυτή ως έναν ενδιάμεσο σταθμό στον θαλάσσιο δρόμο προς την Κύπρο και την ακτή της Συρίας-Παλαιστίνης. Η Ρόδος, ιδιαιτέρως, λόγω της γεωγραφικής θέσης της και της γειτνίασής της με τα εμπορικά λιμάνια της μικρασιατικής ακτής προσέλκυσε από νωρίς το ενδιαφέρον των μυκηναϊκών κέντρων της ηπειρωτικής Ελλάδας.
Katie Demakopoulou & Olga KrzyszkowskaΑρχαιολογική Εφημερίς 148 (2009): 85-95.
Systematic research over the past 25 years has revealed that hippopotamus ivory was used in the Aegean from pre-palatial times until the late Mycenaean period. In addition to finished objects made from this material, parts of tusks have been recovered at Knossos, Thebes and Mycenae.
Nanno MarinatosJournal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections 1.1 (January 2009): 22-28.
Sir Arthur Evans believed that Minoan religion was highly indebted to Egyptian thought. He saw that the two cultures shared a solar theology expressed via similar iconographical schemes, such as the heraldic arrangement of lions
Jacke PhillipsJournal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections 1.2 (April 2009): 9-25.
Though the fashion for amethyst in Egypt and the Near East had, by the mid-eighteenth century bc, dried up along with the Wadi el-Hudi mine, the stone’s popularity persisted in the Aegean well into the twelfth century.
Luca Bombardieri, Oliva Menozzi, Domenico Fossataro & Anna Margherita JasinkReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 131-162.
The excavations on Site 10 (i.e. the most northern site which was surveyed last year on the eastern side of the Kouris), allow us to hypothesize the presence of a system of structures dating back to the Middle Bronze Age, as confirmed by the ceramic evidence: from all the excavated trenches the Red Polished wares are the most widely attested production within the pottery assemblage.
Luca Bombardieri, Domenico Fossataro, Oliva Menozzi & Anna Margherita JasinkReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 117-129.
The Kouris Valley Survey Project obtained new interesting results during the 2008 season, confirming the hypotheses formulated in the 2007 report and leading to further working proposals for the future. Our activity in September-October 2008 developed following two main paths: survey and excavation trenches.
Lindy CreweReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 89-115.
The Karpas Peninsula during the Bronze Age has long been renowned for a distinctive material culture, particularly the characteristic Red-on-Red and Red-on-Black and related pottery styles (hereafter Red-on-Red/Black) of the latter Middle Cypriot and early Late Cypriot periods (MC ΠΙ-LC I, ca 1750-1450 B.C.).
Andrew P. McCarthy, Ben Blakeman, Mat Dalton, Lisa Graham, Ian Hill & Graham RitchieReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 59-88.
The 2008 Prasteio-Mesorotsos Archaeological Expedition involved a first season of non-intrusive investigation of a multi-period archaeological site. The project was run as a field school with students from the University of Edinburgh and involved a geological analysis of the site’s hinterland, a geophysical survey of the site, surface collection of artefacts, a Geographical Information Systems (GIS) analysis of the site topography and artefact spread, and recording (drawing and photography) of exposed archaeological features.
Joanne ClarkeReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 39-57.
Kalavasos-Kokkinogia belongs to a cluster of prehistoric sites situated in the lower Vasilikos valley in the coastal lowlands of south-central Cyprus. Kokkinogia extends along the eastern edge of a low north -south ridge with commanding views of the lowlands to the east and south-east.
Albert J. Ammerman, Pavlos Flourentzos & Jay S. NollerReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 17-38.
The purpose of this article is to present the results of the excavation carried out at the prehistoric site of Pigi-Agios Andronikos in October of 2005. The excavation was undertaken as a joint venture by Pavlos Flourentzos, the then Director of the Department of Antiquities (Cyprus) and Albert J. Ammerman of Colgate University (New York); its chief aim was to learn more about the stratigraphic sequence at the site.
Carole McCartney, Paul Croft, Sturt W. Manning & Sandra RosendahlReport of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 2009 : 1-16.
The following preliminary report provides results from the fourth field season of the EENC (Elaborating Early Neolithic Cyprus) project, an international collaboration between the University of Cyprus and Cornell University. An outline of the EENC research goals, survey and excavation methodologies together with previous results are documented elsewhere (McCartney et al. 2006, 2007, 2008).
Louis GodartAnnuario della Scuola Archeologica Italiana di Atene LXXXVII (2009) : 191-207.
Since its discovery, the Phaistos Disc has been the object of thousands of attempts to decipher it, none of which is convincing. The author, having dealt for over 45 years with ancient Aegean scripts, has received over 300 proposals of interpretation of the text. Thus, we should ask the basic question: Is it possible to achieve a decipherment of the Phaistos Disc?
Elisabetta BorgnaAnnuario della Scuola Archeologica Italiana di Atene LXXXVII (2009) : 169-189.
Some aspects concerning the articulation of Mycenaean cult practices in relation to different social groups are considered. In particular, the problem of the wheel-made female figurines which played an important role in the sanctuaries of the Mycenaean citadels such as Mycenae, Tyrins, Phylakopi, is dealt with.
Rachele DubbiniAnnuario della Scuola Archeologica di Atene e delle Missioni Italiane in Oriente LXXXVII (2009) : 91-104.
Guido Libertini became Director of the Italian School of Archaeology at Athens in 1940, after the removal of Alessandro Della Seta for racial reasons, in a difficult moment because of the coolness of the Greek-Italian relations on the eve of the war between the two countries.
Vincenzo La RosaAnnuario della Scuola Archeologica di Atene e delle Missioni Italiane in Oriente LXXXVII (2009) : 79-90.
This is a small chapter in the one-hundred-year history of School, which is linked with the faltering steps at the beginning and which gives us food for thought of ‘political’ type. The newly-appointed director L. Pernier arrives in Athens in November 1909 and already between late 1909 and 1910 the Ambassador of Italy in Athens, Marquis Carlotti di Ripabella, who was particularly interested in archaeology, tried to cut him off from his Cretan root. Beyond his personal bent for archaeology, Marquis Carlotti was especially interested, for reasons of national pride and prestige, in ensuring that the newly-founded School, like its existing counterparts, was a field of activity in Greece (with which Crete had not yet been united). Between late April and early May, Pernier travelled together with the diplomat to northern Euboea, even though F. Halbherr (who had been informed of the venture) had tried to persuade him otherwise.