This paper aims at outlining A. Di Vita as a man, as a scholar, as an excavator and as direccor of the Italian Archaeological School in Athens, stressing his privileged relationship with the Island of Crete
M. KosmaThe Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry 10.3 (2010): 29-36.
The existence of an Early Bronze Age coastal site in the district of Nea Styra has been known since the end of the 19th century when three marble figurines of early Cycladic type had been found in the area. During the 20th century survey investigations conducted by Greek and foreign archaeologists offered new evidence which demonstrated the significance of the site during the Early and Middle Helladic periods.
Sturt W. Manning, Bernd Kromer, Christopher Bron, Charlotte L. Pearson, Sahra Talamo, Nicole Trano & Jennifer D. WatkinsRadiocarbon 52.4 (2010): 1571-1597.
The East Mediterranean Radiocarbon (inter-)Comparison Project (EMRCP) has measured the 14C ages of a number of sets of tree rings from the Gordion Area dendrochronology from central Anatolia at the Heidelberg Radiocarbon Laboratory. In several cases, multiple measurements were made over a period from the 1980s to 2009.
Kromer, B., Manning, S.W., Friedrich, M., Talamo, S. & Trano, N.Radiocarbon 52.3 (2010): 875-886.
We have measured additional known-age German oak samples in 4 intervals in the 2nd and 1st millennia BC to add to (and to replicate) parts of the international Northern Hemisphere radiocarbon calibration data set. In the 17th, 16th, and 12th centuries BC, our results agree well with IntCal04.
Shelley Wachsmann Journal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections 2.3 (August 2010): 31-41.
The tomb of Ahhotep (I) contained two metal ship models—one gold, the other silver—and a four-wheeled carriage. The models are anomalous in time and material. While the gold model represents a typical papyri form wood- planked Nile vessel, the silver model finds its closest parallels
Tobias MühlenbruchEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 357-361.
Ein besonderes Objekt in der Lehrsammlung des Vorgeschichtlichen Seminars ist eine annähernd vollständig erhaltene mykenische Bügelkanne aus Agypten. Das Inventarbuch führt sie als “Geschenk Dr. Bittel” auf. Die Schenkung ist auf das Jahr 1933 zu datieren. Der Schenker, Dr. Kurt Bittel (1907-1991), braucht nicht ausführlich vorgestellt zu werden.
Nanno MarinatosEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 325-355.
Over three dozen fragments of lions have been identified in the material from Tell el Dab‘a, all found together in a dump in sector H/I. While their precise location within the palace is impossible to identify, some facts are clear. The lions and leopards belonged to a set of friezes all of which dealt with the theme of predatory hunt.
Lyvia MorganEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 303-323.
A single griffin, on a scale with the lions and leopards, was found amongst the fragments of Aegean wall paintings dumped outside Palace F at Tell el Dab‘a in the early Tuthmoside period. Like the other felines, the griffin must have been a predator in the Hunt Frieze. Most of the head is preserved, the beak, and part of the wing.
Lyvia MorganEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 263-301.
Tell el Dab‘a (Avaris) is situated along what was, in ancient times, the eastern bank of the most easterly branch of the Nile Delta. The settlement would have been surrounded by channels and basins, with natural inlets perfect for harbours. To this strategic location - en route to the East and next to a river course leading to the Mediterranean -Aegean artists were apparently brought to paint the walls of Egyptian palaces.
Astrid HasslerEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 207-225.
Als L. Loat im Jahre 1904 seine Forschungen in Gurob unternahm, waren dieser Kampagne bereits zwei Saisonen intensiver Grabungstätigkeit vorangegangen. Im Jahre 1888 begann Flinders Petrie - neben seiner Haupttätigkeit in Kahun - die erste Grabungskampagne in diesem Gebiet; der Ausgräber beschreibt in der folgenden Publikation, wie er zwischen beiden Grabungsplätzen hin- und her pendelte, eine kontinuierliche Beaufsichtigung der Arbeiten in Gurob erfolgte somit nicht.
Marian H. Feldman & Caroline SauvageEgypt and the Levant. International Journal for Egyptian Archaeology and Related Disciplines XX (2010): 67-181.
The light, two-wheeled chariot, which makes its appearance in the Near East and Eastern Mediterranean during the second millennium BC, is often seen as a hallmark of the great states and internationalism characteristic of the Late Bronze Age (c. 1600-1150 BC). Chariots are credited with revolutionizing warfare, hunting, and transportation, as well as providing a new emblem of royal and elite status.
Κ. Demakopoulou, Ν. Divari-Valakou, Μ. Lowe Fri, Μ. Miller, Μ. Nilsson & A.-L. SchallinOpuscula - Annual of the Swedish Institutes at Athens and Rome 3 (2010): 7-32.
Excavations in Midea continued in 2008 and 2009 as a Greek-Swedish programme under the direction of Dr Katie Demakopoulou in collaboration with Dr Ann-Louise Schallin. On the lower west terrace of the Acropolis excavation continued in Trench C in order to conclude the investigation of the syrinx discovered in 2007.
J.K. PapadopoulosOpuscula - Annual of the Swedish Institutes at Athens and Rome 3 (2010): 33-54.
This paper begins with an overview of the bronze headbands from the prehistoric (Late Bronze to Early Iron Age) burial tumulus of Lofkënd in Albania, which were found among the richest tombs of the cemetery, all of them of young females or children. It is argued that these individuals represent a class of the special dead, those who have not attained a critical rite de passage: marriage.