Koukounaries acropolis at Paros island. Paros Excavations
Koukounaries is listed among the most ancient acropolis sites in the Aegean. It is situated on the NE side of Paros, near the SW shores of the Naoussa Bay. Excavations were carried out during 1976-1992 by Prof. Demetrius U. Schilardi under the sponsorship of the Athens Archaeological Society. The dig brought to light successive layers of occupation from Late Neolithic (5th mill. B.C.) to Early Archaic (first half of 7th c. B.C.). The remote history of the site goes back to Late Neolithic (5th mill. B.C.), when a settlement was created on the upper slopes. There is pottery and artefacts showing that it is contemporary with Saliangos, a settlement between Paros and Antiparos (5th mill. B.C.). In Early Cycladic II a large stone building was erected on the NE. edge of the summit (Upper Plateau).
In Late Mycenaean times (12th c. B.C.), the hill was transformed into a fortified acropolis. The slopes were fortified with cross-walls and a palatial building (Mansion) was constructed on the Upper Plateau. Its southern side was protected with a strong pseudo-Cyclopean wall. A thick destruction layer stretching over the floors produced evidence of vases, pithoi, tools, arms and a horse-bit in bronze and artifacts in ivory. The pottery is typical of the LH IIIC (mature) style. Numerous skeletons of the occupants, adults, children and animals, including horses, were found under the fallen debris. The complex was destroyed by fire about 1150 B.C.