The British School of Athens began excavations at Lefkandi in 1964 under the direction of Mervyn Popham and Hugh Sackett. The site was spotted by the two archaeologists after surveying the island of Euboea to find suitable sites for excavation. The first excavations took place on the ancient settlement called Xeropolis, which is just to the east of the village on a peninsula, and revealed that the history of the site started around 2100 BC.
One of the rare forests of eastern Crete was first systematically settled and intensively used by man about four thousand years ago. In the older Minoan Palace period (ca. 1900-1650 BCE) many agricultural installations (pens, enclosure walls) and house foundations were built with large blocks and are visible on the surface utill today.
This Web site is designed for those interested in the ongoing excavations at Çatalhöyük, Turkey. Its aim is to provide information about the activities of the Project and of the different aspects of the research being conducted at Çatalhöyük.
The objectives of the program are: to investigate the relationship between the Sanctuary to Poseidon and the ancient city of Kalaureia; to study the interaction between the sanctuary and the city and their role in the Saronic Gulf and the wider world;
Since 1976 the University of Toronto, in collaboration with The American School of Classical Studies at Athens and the Greek Archaeological Service, has investigated the ancient site of Kommos in south central Crete.
The Virtual World Project is designed for educational purposes, with teachers and students in mind. The project offers two modes for viewing the archaeological sites (Tour and Presentation mode). See the help screens for further information on using the project. Audio commentary is being added to many of the sites (see Herodium, Dan, Qasr Bshir, and Ramm, among others).