Prehistoric Chipped Stone Assemblages from Eastern Thrace and the South Marmara Region 7th-5th mill. BC.
Series: BAR International Series 1904
Description: Paperback, 135 p., b/w ill., 29,7x21 cm
The main topic of this work is linked with the investigation of the Holocene chipped stone assemblages in the area of South Bulgaria and especially the region of Northern Thrace and NW Turkey (Eastern Thrace and South Marmara region) during the period 7th – 5th mill. BC. The reason for undertaking this type of research is connected with the important location and key position of present day NW Turkey and Bulgarian lands in the processes of cultural development of the prehistoric population between 7th – 5th mill. BC. The other reason can be found in the insufficient number of works concerning prehistoric stone technology and typology and system of supply in this region for the period mentioned above. At the same time the present work has the aim of publishing the acquired stone collections and to make them available to interested scholars.
Within this work the following topics will be considered:
- Technological and typological analyses of the chipped stone assemblages in Northern and Eastern Thrace and the South Marmara region – 7th and the 5th mill. BC.
- Raw material procurement and the systems of supply of the prehistoric population in the regions presented.
The research problems concerning the prehistoric periods of this region have been more or less detailed in different publications by different authors (Todorova 2003, 257-328; Özdogan 2003a) and therefore it would be not necessary to repeat their publications and further below only short information on the sites is furnished, in addition to which the stone assemblages that have been processed by the author are presented. The research results till the end of 2005 are presented in this study.
List of illustrations [v]
- History and state of research, methods and objectives 
- The problem of Pleistocene-Holocene transition in Northern and Eastern Thrace and the South Marmara region 
- Systems of raw material procurement and supply in Northern and Eastern Thrace and South Marmara region – 7th and the 5th mill. BC 
- Chipped stone assemblages from the territories of present-day Bulgaria: the Pleistocene/Holocene Transition; the Monochrome Period; White Painted and Dark Polished Pottery – Karanovo I and Karanovo II phases and Dark Painted Pottery – the 7th BC and the 6th mill. BC; Early and Late Chalcolithic period – 5th mill. BC 
- Chipped stone assemblages from Eastern Thrace and the South Marmara Region – the 7th/5th mill. BC 
- Conclusion 
Index of the settlements mentioned in the text