This AHRC funded Resource Enhancement Project provides you with a research tool that has many archaeological applications. With it you can investigate the distribution of Palaeolithic, Mesolithic and many Neolithic stone artefacts that have been found in Greece as recorded in 142 field surveys. You can also compare results between surveys in different terrain and regions of the country. The Prehistoric Stones of Greece is a survey of surveys. It was compiled at Royal Holloway between 2004 and 2009 by Paraskevi Elefanti and Gil Marshall. The project was led by Clive Gamble and the website designed by Gil Marshall and Weili Wang, Royal Holloway, University of London.
The 35th (ΛΕ΄) Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities is responsible for the Ionian Islands of Kefalonia, Ithaca and Zakynthos. It is one of the most recent Ephorates of the Greek Ministry of Culture, established in June 2006.
The 27th (ΚΖ΄) Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities was established in January 2004. It is based at Katerini (Macedonia). The Ephorate is responsible for the prehistoric and classical antiquities of the prefecture of Pieria.
The Research Program for the study of the site of Avgi in Kastoria aims to study the material culture of the Neolithic settlement in order to reconstruct the social structure, ideology and the strategies behind its survival. The settlement is located in a hilly area, 500 m north of the modern town of Avgi, 7 km south of Argos Orestiko and 10 km southwest of Orestidos Lake.
The archaeological project at Paliambela Kolindros is an international project that takes as its goal the systematic investigation, management and development of the prehistoric settlement at Paliambela, located in the Municipality of Kolindros. The Project began in 1999 and has continued until today. It is conducted by the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki under the direction of Prof. Kostas Kotsakis, in collaboration with the British School of Archaeology and the University of Sheffield, U.K., headed by Prof. Paul Halstead.
The library of the Parliament holds one of the largest collections of books and prints in Greece. Recently, 3,000 newspapers and journals from the 19th and 20th century became available to the public. They include high circulation newspapers from large cities as well as local, smaller newspapers that are less known.
The project, funded by Instap, is part of a larger research framework titled Topography of Power. Towns, Sanctuaries and Territories on Bronze Age Crete. The aim of the project is to identify a historical topography of power by assessing archaeological data that reflects hierarchical relationships on the island of Crete during the Middle and Late Bronze Ages (2000-1200 BC). The Minoan Peak sanctuaries project is based on a collaboration of the Institute of Mediterranean Studies-FORTH (Dr. A. Sarris) and the Université Catholique de Louvain (Prof. J. Driessen).
Since 1881 the American School has amassed a large collection of both published and unpublished information. This includes books, journals, photographs, notebooks, personal papers, maps, and scientific data sets. More and more of these resources are now in electronic form. This page provides a central point of access to the major digital resources of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens.
Kommos is situated on the shores of the Libyan Sea, which borders the western area of the Mesara, the largest plain in Crete. It first attracted the attention of archaeologists in 1924, when Arthur Evans heard of large storage vessels from the site and speculated about the existence of a Bronze Age “Customs House” there.
The journal Minos. Revista de Filología Egea was founded in 1951. The present editors of the journal are JOSÉ LUIS MELENA, professor at the University of País Vasco, and THOMAS PALAIMA, professor at the University of Austin (Texas). You may now download many articles from 1951 until 1990.
According to Greek legend, Crete was ruled by three mythical brothers, Minos, Sarpedon and Rhadamanthus. Sarpedon is said to have had dominion over the eastern part of the island until he was exiled by his brother Minos.
The National Archaeological Museum of Athens is the largest archaeological museum in Greece and one of the most important museums in the world devoted to ancient Greek art. It was founded at the end of the 19th century to house and protect antiquities from all over Greece, thus displaying their historical, cultural and artistic value.
Reconstructing the human presence in historical settings has recently become the aim of several scientific co-operations between archaeological and computer science personnel. In particular, computer graphics help researchers to reconstruct original locations starting from a simple plan.
This website, published by John Younger of the Department of Classics of the University of Kansas, provides a brief introduction to the script, transliterations of all the major Linear A texts from Crete and the Aegean, a comprehensive bibliography of related publications from 1980 and a series of free downloadable fonts for Macintosh and Windows users of all the ancient Aegean scripts (Hieroglyphic, Linear A, Linear B and the Phaistos disc).
The Pylos-Iklaina Archaeological Project (IKAP) is an interdisciplinary research project in the area of Messenia, Greece. The project is carried out under the auspices of the Archaeological Society at Athens and the direction of Professor Michael Cosmopoulos of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Missouri at St. Louis.