The Mochlos Excavation Project in eastern Crete is pleased to join the array of active archaeological projects now accessible via the Internet. This web site is designed to acquaint the public at large with the results of the excavation and with its latest publications.
The present web-site was created, in the summer of 2010, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the research activities at Petras, the Minoan urban settlement and palace of Siteia. All excavations, surface surveys and studies, since 1985, are presented here.
Nestor is an international bibliography of Aegean studies, Homeric society, Indo-European linguistics, and related fields. It is published monthly from September to May (each volume covers one calendar year) by the Department of Classics, University of Cincinnati. An Authors Index accompanies the December issue. Nestor is distributed in 30 countries world-wide. It is currently edited by Carol R. Hershenson.
The Archaeological Institute of America (AIA) is North America's oldest and largest organization devoted to the world of archaeology. The Institute is a nonprofit group founded in 1879 and chartered by the United States Congress in 1906. Today, the AIA has nearly 250,000 Members belonging to more than 100 Local Societies in the United States, Canada, and overseas. The organization is unique because it counts among its Members professional archaeologists, students, and many others from all walks of life. This diverse group is united by a shared passion for archaeology and its role in furthering human knowledge.
The Palace of Nestor, on the Epano Englianos ridge in southwestern Messenia, was discovered in 1939 and excavated from 1952 to 1966 by the late Professor Carl Blegen of the University of Cincinnati. The palace, dating from ca. 1300-1200 BC, is among the best preserved of Bronze Age complexes in Greece. In addition to architecture, excavations uncovered wall and floor frescos, Linear B tablets (the first ever discovered on the mainland), sealings, jewelry, pottery and other artifacts.
The University of Minnesota has a proud tradition of involvement in Greek archaeology. From the l950s to the 1970s, Professor William MacDonald and the Minnesota Messenia Expedition, with campaigns of field survey and excavations, made pioneering contributions to the study of the Bronze Age in the Peloponnesos.
The Pylos Regional Archaeological Project (PRAP) is a multi-disciplinary, diachronic archaeological expedition formally organised in 1990 to investigate the history of prehistoric and historic settlement and land use in western Messenia in Greece, in an area centered on the Bronze Age administrative center known as the Palace of Nestor.
Kretika Chronika was a groundbreaking journal published in Heraklion from 1947 onwards by Andreas G. Kalokerinos. For many decades it was one of the primary catalysts for Cretan studies. Its pages hosted hundreds of original articles and studies in the fields of archaeology, history, folklore and literary scholarship, focused on the history and culture of Crete from ancient times to the early 20th century.
Priniatikos Pyrgos is a limestone headland jutting out into the southwest corner of the Gulf of Mirabello in East Crete. The research so far has revealed evidence of prehistoric industrial activity (e.g. two pottery kilns) and settlement, part of the Classical and Hellenistic city plan of Istron and a previously undiscovered Byzantine ecclesiastical site of regional importance.
The INSTAP-SCEC Newsletter, published annually, is a marvelous way to keep up with events and happenings at the Center. This newsletter contains short articles on member projects, work conducted at the Center, and special features. It regularly offers scholars from the Center a forum for presenting their work.
This unique collection of pioneering women’s biographies includes not only field archaeologists, but also those who have been deeply involved in the discipline of archaeology: philologists, epigraphers, writers, artists, museum curators, professors, and fund raisers.
The Petrota graben, an area c. 100 sq. km in Greek Thrace, is rich in sources of siliceous rocks suitable for the manufacture of stone tools. Some of the sources were exploited in prehistory, from the Middle Palaeolithic on.
The area has been under archaeological exploration since 1998. The information you find in these pages is based on the first five seasons of fieldwork, until 2005. It is likely to change drastically as fieldwork and study of the material continue.