The Mycenaean Foundation is a non-profit corporation registered in the State of Missouri in 1967 at the initiative of the late George Mylonas, renowed archaeologist, archaeology professor at Washington University, St. Louis, and excavator of Mycenae (1952-1988).
Koukounaries is listed among the most ancient acropolis sites in the Aegean. It is situated on the NE side of Paros, near the SW shores of the Naoussa Bay. Excavations were carried out during 1976-1992 by Prof. Demetrius U. Schilardi under the sponsorship of the Athens Archaeological Society.
Iconography of Deities and Demons in the Ancient Near East (IDD) is designed as a companion to the Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible (DDD), edited by Karel van der Toorn, Bob Becking and Pieter van der Horst (Leiden: Brill, 2nd edition 1999). Its focus will be on visual sources, which are essential for interpreting the religious symbol systems of antiquity.
This is the home page for the Stélida Naxos Archaeological Project [SNAP], a geo-archaeological survey of a chert source and associated early prehistoric stone tool workshops, conceivably first exploited as long as 260,000 years ago, with some of its early visitors likely including Neanderthals.
Το Αρχαιολογικό Ινστιτούτο Θεσσαλικών Σπουδών, είναι Ειδική Περιφερειακή Υπηρεσία του ΥΠΠΟΤ (είναι ένα από τα έξι Ινστιτούτα που λειτουργούν σε όλη την Ελλάδα) με έδρα το Βόλο και χωρική αρμοδιότητα ολόκληρη τη Θεσσαλία και τις Βόρειες Σποράδες.
The story of the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki is similar to the city's recent history. The Ephorate of Antiquities "by the General Directorate of Macedonia" was the first service to be founded, on November 1912, only a fortnight after the city was incorporated into the Greek State.
The permanent collection of the Archaeological Museum of Igoumenitsa includes exhibits that cover a long period of human presence in Thesprotia, from the Middle Palaeolithic (100,000 years before present) until the period of the Ottoman rule (19th cent. AD).
From 2009 to 2011, the Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology of the University of Thessaly, in collaboration with the 13th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities of the Ministry of Culture, conducted a systematic survey at the site of Kephala, next to the bay of Xanemos, on the northeast side of the island of Skiathos.
Il catalogo digitale è una banca dati dedicata alle collezioni egee del Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Firenze, allegato on line del volume omonimo edito da Firenze University Press. Il catalogo è consultabile anche dal portale di ricerca on-line DBAS (DataBases about Aegean Subjects).
An indispensible tool for researchers in all disciplines who wish to learn about the latest archaeological discoveries in Greece and Cyprus, Archaeology in Greece Online/Chronique des fouilles en ligne is a richly illustrated topographical database with a mapping feature to locate field projects within sites and regions.
The Plakias Stone Age Project is a Greek-American collaborative project that funds research on the Stone Age discoveries around the village of Plakias in southwest Crete (Greece). It began in 2008 with the Plakias Mesolithic Survey where both Mesolithic (11,000– 9000 B.P.) and Lower Palaeolithic sites (1.5 million years–250,000 years ago) were found.
LiBER (Linear B Electronic Resources) is a CNR-ISMA project which aims at producing an integrated database of Linear B documents, with the ultimate goal of providing scholars, and all those who are interested in the Mycenaean world, with an updated edition of the Linear B documents, along with a new set of search tools.
VIZIN is a unique 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization using advanced computer graphics technologies for the documentation, study, teaching, and dissemination of information about cultural heritage. VIZIN comprises the longest-active team in the world engaged in creating innovative interactive educational, research, and museum-display packages using the most accurate, detailed, and precise historical re-creations that the evidence allows.
The British School of Athens began excavations at Lefkandi in 1964 under the direction of Mervyn Popham and Hugh Sackett. The site was spotted by the two archaeologists after surveying the island of Euboea to find suitable sites for excavation. The first excavations took place on the ancient settlement called Xeropolis, which is just to the east of the village on a peninsula, and revealed that the history of the site started around 2100 BC.
One of the rare forests of eastern Crete was first systematically settled and intensively used by man about four thousand years ago. In the older Minoan Palace period (ca. 1900-1650 BCE) many agricultural installations (pens, enclosure walls) and house foundations were built with large blocks and are visible on the surface utill today.